Hathaway, A. J., was born in Steuben county, but has resided in North Tonawanda since May, 1876. He was first connected in business in this place with McGraw & Co. for six years, and was then in the forwarding business for a time, until he became connected with the New York Lumber and Woodworking Co. and subsequently with the Tonawanda Lumber Co. Since 1889 he has given his attention to real estate and is also interested in the Tonawanda Electric Road. Mr. Hathaway was first married to Ophelia Bennett, who died leaving two daughters, Martha and Kate; his second wife was Miss Kate S. Smith, daughter of Hon. H. P. Smith, and they have four children: A. J. Hathaway, jr., H. P., Christiana and Georgiana W. In 1854 Mr. Hathaway enlisted in Co. A, 50th N. Y. Vols., and served until the close of the war, seeing service at City Point and in the operations around Petersburg, Va. Mr. Hathaway united with the First Methodist Episcopal church of North Tonawanda in 1876, and since 1896 has been a member of the North Presbyterian church and is an elder in that society.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time