Young, Henry C., was born at Niagara Falls, N. Y., April 29, 1838, a son of the late Jonas Young, who was a prosperous farmer of that section. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, Fort Edward (N. Y.) Institute and Eastman's Business College, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. For a number of years following his graduation from the latter institution he traveled through Europe as the representative of several large American manufacturing concerns. In 1875 he was appointed vice-consul of the United States at Moscow, Russia, and served in that capacity until 1878. In 1880 he returned to the United States and located at Philadelphia, Pa., where for a number of years he was engaged in business, shipping machinery to Europe and other foreign ports. In 1890 he returned to the old homestead at Niagara Falls, where he has since resided, a gentleman farmer. The Young farm was purchased from the Holland Laud Co. early in the present century (in 1810) by the paternal grandfather of Henry C., who lived and died there, as did his father, Jonas, and originally contained over two hundred acres; his son Jonas added by purchase to the original tract making over 300 acres, all of which is still in the Young family. By her union with Jonas Young, Lydia Hittel, who died on May 8, 1897, at the advanced age of ninety-two years, had six children, four of whom survive, viz., Jonas, jr., Samuel, Maria and Henry C.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time