Wood, W. W. - This representative citizen of North Tonawanda, has been connected with its lumber history and business life for the past ten years. He came here in 1887, with A. P. & W. E. Kelly from Chicago, but in 1890 entered the employ of A. Weston & Son, and had charge of the yards for four years. He laid out the second lumber yard at Tonawanda Island, now occupied by A. K. & W. E. Silverthorne, and was active in the interests of his employers during the great strike. In 1894 he went into the hotel business in the Twin City Hotel, but in April, 1895, secured his present large place, Union Hotel. Mr. Wood is a prominent Republican and has been active in the interests of his party ever since coming to North Tonawanda; he is an exempt fireman and a member of the Royal Arcanum. He married Velna McMullen, and they have two children, Edward and Peter. Mrs. Wood s father was an old mill man of North Tonawanda, and Mr. Wood's parents were Edward and Anna Wood; Edward Wood was long known as the "Lumber King" in Chicago.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time