Niagara County

1897 Biography - Henry E. Woodford

Woodford, Henry E., was born at Tipton, England, May 23, 1835, a son of the late John and Alicia Woodford. Henry E. Woodford received his education under private tutors in England, and emigrated to America in 1854, settling in Toronto, Ontario, Can., where he entered the office of a leading newspaper and remained until 1856. In that year he went to England and returned to America in 1859, when he entered the employ of the Grand Trunk Railroad Company as freight agent at Stratford, Ontario, Can., remaining there for three years and a half, when he removed to Quebec and served as freight clerk for the same company. In 1864 he removed to Suspension Bridge, N. Y., where he was appointed clerk for the American Express Company, and later, in 1868, was made agent for that company at Clifton (now Niagara Falls, Ont.), Canada, remaining in that position for nine years, at which time he returned to Suspension Bridge, acting in the same capacity for the same company. In 1886 he established his present business of brokerage and exchange and later purchased the Niagara Rapids Mill, which he still operates successfully. May 22, 1867, he married Catherine Hoffman, a niece of John A. Roebling, who built the original Suspension Bridge over the Niagara River at Clifton, Ont., and who was the designer of the world famous Brooklyn Bridge between New York and Brooklyn. Mr. Woodford is an extensive property owner, a director of the Bank of Suspension Bridge, and a stockholder and election inspector of the new steel arch bridge over the Niagara River.

Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897

Design by Templates in Time