Niagara County

1897 Biography - William W. Wilcox

Wilcox, William W., was born at Cambridge, N. Y., July 21, 1861, and was a son of Garrett W. Wilcox, banker, now deceased. He attended the Rochester Academy and Rochester Business University, and at the age of eighteen removed to St. Paul, Minn., where he was engaged in the hardware business for five years; he then returned to Brockport, where, in company with his brother, C. G. Wilcox, he established himself in the men's furnishing business, which he carried on for two years. He was at that time appointed special agent for the Washington Life and Manhattan Life Insurance Companies of New York, and acted in that capacity for several years. Later he removed to Niagara Falls, where he carried on an insurance business until 1895, when he and other prominent business men of Niagara Falls incorporated the Electric City Bank, of which he became teller and retained that position until April 1, 1897, at which time he resigned to give his attention to real estate and insurance. March 21, 1882, Mr. Wilcox married Louise M. Sprong of Spencerport, N. Y., and they have three children, Garrett W., Annie R. and Blair S. Mr. Wilcox is treasurer of the Riverdale Cemetery Association; treasurer of the Hygeia Ice and Refrigerating Company, and president of the Niagara Falls Land Investment Company. He is a member of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132, F. & A. M., of Niagara Chapter No. 200, R. A. M., Niagara Council No. 1,397, Royal Arcauum, and of Niagara Commandery No. 64.

Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897

Design by Templates in Time

This page was last updated 04/08/2024