Welch, John J., was born in Canada in 1847, a son of the late Thomas Welch. He attended the public schools of Niagara Falls, whither his parents had removed in 1847, and when fifteen years of age began his business career with the New York Central Railroad Company, which company he served in various capacities for twenty-three years. In 1886 he was appointed deputy collector of customs, port of Niagara, and held that office for four years, until 1889. In that year he, in company with his present partner, Joseph McDonald, established himself in the coal trade at Niagara Falls, in which he still successfully operates. In 1879 Mr. Welch was married to Mary Laughlin of Niagara Falls, and they have four children. Mr. Welch is an extensive real estate owner and an enterprising and thrifty business man. He is a member of the C. M. B. A. of Niagara Falls.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time