Welch, John H., was born at Brockport, N.Y., July 17, 1863, a son of John Welch. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, the State Normal School and St. Joseph's College at Buffalo, and later took a course in the Notre Dame (Indiana) University, and was graduated there from in 1881. For several years thereafter he was employed as a clerk in the Chicago office of the Grand Trunk Railroad Company and later removed to Rochester, N. Y., where he learned the clothing business with M. H. Carroll and in 1887 he returned to his home town and entered into business with his brother, as the Welch Hat and Clothing Company, carrying on that business successfully until 1892, when he removed to Niagara Falls and established his present business as clothier and tailor. June 12, 1894, Mr.Welch married Catherine G. Kirby, and they have one child, Albertine L. Mr. Welch is a member of Niagara Council No. 1,397, Royal Arcanum; of Niagara Chapter No. 346, B. P. O. E., and of Rescue Hook and Ladder Company No. 2. He is a man of genial manner, of business ability and tact and is highly esteemed by all who know him.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time