Van Shuler, Duane, was born on the Van Shuler homestead, April 3, 1860, which was built by his grandfather, James Van Shuler, who came from Schoharie county to Niagara about 1825, taking up a large tract of land from the Holland Land Company. He was one of the largest contractors in Western New York, and with his son, James Taylor Van Shuler, furnished the stone used in the enlargement of the Erie Canal. The firm remained in active business up to the time of the death of J. T. Van Shuler, which occurred in 1863. Duane Van Shuler has continued the business of building materials, but is principally interested in farming.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time