Van Pelt, John Grove, M. D., was born in Williamsville, Erie county, N. Y., December 25, 1848, a son of the late William Van Pelt, M.D., a very learned gentleman and eminent physician of that place. John Van Pelt received his education in the public schools and Williamsville Academy, and in the Buffalo Central High School. At the age of twenty two he returned to his native place and taught school there for three winters, in time taking up the study of medicine, and in 1876 was graduated from the Buffalo Medical School; following upon his graduation he spent a year and a half in the Buffalo Plains Hospital as house surgeon. In the autumn of 1877 he removed to Wyoming county, where he was placed in charge of the Aims House and Insane Asylum, remaining in that position until 1888, at which time he removed to Niagara Falls, where he has since enjoyed a large and paying practice. In the spring of 1897 Dr. Van Pelt was appointed physician to the Third and Fourth wards of the city of Niagara Falls. July 10, 1883, he married Elizabeth R. Crawford of Bennington, N.Y., daughter of Thomas and Matilda Crawford, natives of Warsaw, N.Y., both deceased.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time