Tompkins, Henry S., was born February 3, 1848, at Niagara Falls, N. Y., and is a son of the late Samuel Tompkins of that place. Henry S. Tompkins attended the public schools of his native town, until twenty years of age, when he entered the works of his father at La Salle to learn the manufacture of building brick, which he has chosen for his life vocation. He is also engaged in farming and fruit growing, owning a farm of fifty acres adjoining his brick kiln and works, and has a large orchard of 1,100 finely grafted fruit trees. Mr. Tompkins is a man of sterling worth, and has been eminently successful in his business operations. He has served the town of Niagara, where his business is located, for many years in various capacities, having been a justice of the peace for nineteen years, and was elected supervisor of his township in 1895 to serve for two years, and re-elected in 1897 for the same period of time. He has also served as assessor for three years, and as a member of the Board of School Trustees for twenty-five years, and justly deserves the high esteem in which he is held by his townsmen. In 1870 Mr. Tompkins was married to Miss Maria Vogt, and they have reared a family of two sons and two daughters.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time