Thompson, James S., son of Oliver Curtis Thompson, who spent most of his business life in Buffalo, where he conducted a flouring mill, was born in North Tonawanda, Niagara county, October 11, 1855, and was educated in the public schools of his native village and at a private school in Buffalo. At the age of sixteen he became a clerk in the old New York and Erie Bank in Buffalo, where he remained about eight years, rising to the position of teller. About 1879 he engaged in the manufacture of shingles in North Tonawanda with R. J. Wilder, and later became sole owner of the business, which he finally discontinued. Subsequently he formed a copartnership with William Gombert, under the style of Gombert & Thompson, and this firm still continues under the name of Thompson, Hubman & Fisher. They have one of the largest planning and lumber mills in North Tonawanda and carry on an immense business. Mr. Thompson has long been one of the leading men in the place. He was president of the village for five years, and is now a member of the first Board of Public Works of the city and a member of Tonawanda Lodge No. 247, F. & A. M. In 1882 he married Geneva, daughter of Philip W. Scribner, of North Tonawanda. Mr. Thompson's mother was Catherine Sweeney, daughter of James Sweeney, who located at North Tonawanda in 1828, built the first frame dwelling on the site, donated the lots for the first church and the first school house, and energetically pursued an advanced and patriotic course in developing the village until his death, January 13, 1850, aged fifty-seven.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time