Sutherland, J. Hanaur, M. D., was born at Toronto, Ontario, Can., and was a son of John G. Sutherland, now deceased Mr. Sutherland attended the public schools at Toronto and at an early age developed a taste for medicine and surgery. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Confederate army as a steward in the hospital corps, and served for three and a half years, leaving the service with the rank of hospital steward. In 1865 he entered the University of Philadelphia, Pa., and was graduated with honors in 1867. From 1867 to 1870 he was located in California, practicing his profession as well as interested in mining, and in the latter year removed to Oil Creek. Pa. where he engaged in the oil business until 1876, when he removed to Butler county and again took up his practice as a physician and surgeon. Later he visited Mexico and made a close study of surgery as practiced in that country. In 1888 he settled at Washington, D. C., and practiced there until 1892, when he removed to Niagara Falls, N. Y., and where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, making a specialty of the diseases of women and children; he is also largely interested in Colorado; he is rated as one of the most successful surgeons in New York State.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time