Shaver, Franklin, one of the leading farmers and fruit growers of Niagara county, was born in the town of Yates, Orleans county, N. Y., April 24, 1841, a son of Peter and Eleanor Shaver. Peter Shaver was born in Maryland, February 25, 1799, and was a son of John and Elizabeth Shaver, who came from Holland to Maryland in an early day and in 1804 came to Niagara county. His grandmother died in 1864, aged 104 years; his mother was born December 14, 1799, and died in 1889; his father died in 1886. Mr. Shaver had seven brothers and four sisters, nine of whom are living: Sidney, Nelson, Electa, Malinda, James, Homer, Esther, Miranda and Eugene. Franklin Shaver was married November 28, 1883, to Cornelia Bullard, and they have two children, Harold, born October 16, 1887, and Jesse, born March 12, 1891. Mr. Shaver's grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. There were seventeen children in that family, and not one of them died until after ninety years of age, one living to be 104 years of age. His father used to burn maple, boil the ashes down to black salt and take it to Batavia and trade it for groceries. Mrs. Shaver's parents were from Orange county, N. Y., and her father, Hamilton Bullard, settled on the farm he now owns April 1, 1847. Her grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812 and the family is in possession of a cannon ball that was fired by the British at them when they were defending their home, and which buried itself in the trunk of a chestnut tree near her home. When Mr. Shaver's people came to Niagara county, the country was entirely a wilderness and they literally hewed themselves a home in the wild country. His father started on a trip from Rochester to Albany, with a load drawn by two span of horses, with the fifth horse as a leader. While going down a long hill one horse balked and he was obliged to take a chain and draw the load to the top of the hill and arrange it before he could proceed. Mr. Shaver has fourteen acres of peach orchard, twenty-five of apple and three of pears; he is a stock dealer, dealing largely in sheep.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time