Niagara County
NYGenWeb

1897 Biography - Jesse Shaeffer

Shaeffer, Jesse, has been engaged in the mercantile business in Lockport over fifty years. He was born in Dauphin county, Pa., June 22, 1812, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah Jones Shaeffer. His great-grandfather was a native of Germany, and his grandfather, Christian, was born in Berks county, Pa., but died near Harrisburg, same State; he was a farmer, and reared a family of seven children. His father, Samuel Shaeffer, was born in Dauphin county and in 1828 came to Lockport, N.Y.; he died aged seventy-five years; he was a farmer. a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian church; he married Sarah Jones (born in 1788, died in 1848), and they had five children, one son and four daughters. Jesse, when twelve years of age, came to Lockport with his father, where he attended the public school and worked on the farm. In 1835 he became a clerk in the dry goods store of Rogers & Brown in Lockport. Ten years later he went into business himself in dry goods and general store. He built two large dry goods stores, one grocery and four dwellings. In 1868 he built the large seed and produce store on Market street. To retire, he sold his store and business to his son, who is doing a very large trade in field and garden seeds, wool and evaporated apples, which are sent in car lots all over this country and Europe. Jesse Shaeffer was forced to take a wood working and turning shop, where he is doing a large and prosperous business On January 13, 1839, Jesse Shaeffer married Elizabeth M., daughter of Gershom Owen. They had six children, two sons and four daughters, of whom two are living - William C. Shaelier, his successor in business, and Sarah M., wife of George W. Jones of Brooklyn. William E. married Mary Nash, and has five children, all boys. Jesse Shaeffer is a Republican and a member and trustee of the English Lutheran church. He enjoys the best of health now at the age of eighty-five, all of which is due to temperate habits through life. His present wife was Marietta French.

Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897


Design by Templates in Time