Niagara County
NYGenWeb

1897 Biography - Arch C. Scoby

Scoby, Arch C., was born in Shiloh, Richland county, Ohio, April 15, 1859, and when eleven years of age came to Watkins, N. Y., as the adopted son of his maternal uncle, Andrew S. Scoby, whose name he took. He was the second in a family of seven children of Hudson Russell Catlin and Esther Theresa Scoby, the others being George S. Catlin, Maud L., Burge D., Wayne, Cora, and May. His father served three years in the 123d Ohio Vol. Inf., and died in 1887, and since then Mr. Scoby's mother has made her home with him. Arch C. Scoby was educated in the district schools and at Cook Academy, and in 1881caine to Wilson, Niagara county, where he taught school and also conducted a farm summers. He began teaching at the age of sixteen, at Watkins Glen, Schuyler county, and taught in all sixteen terms, most of the time in the county of Niagara, and altogether with marked success. ln 1887 he removed to North Ridge, in the town of Lockport, where he resided until 1895, being engaged in mercantile business during the first five years. In 1890 he was elected school commissioner of Niagara county on the Democratic ticket and served six years, being re-elected in 1893. In 1896 he was his party's candidate for sheriff of the county and ran 1,700 votes ahead of his ticket. He came to North Tonawanda in the fall of 1895, and has since resided there, and until August, l897, was engaged in the grocery business. He now devotes his time to his varied business interests. Mr. Scoby has been uniformly successful and is recognized as a popular, influential citizen. He educated and reared four of his brothers and sisters. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans, and a prominent Odd Fellow, belonging to Electric City Lodge, No. 663, and Encampment 88. April 8, 1880, he married Mary T., daughter of Augustus W. Swick, of Wilson, and they have three children: Vesta N., Celia M., and Hallie A.

Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897


Design by Templates in Time