Sanford, Hervey, was born at Center Brook, Conn., October 29, 1838, a son of Hervey C. and Florella (Nott) Sanford, natives of Connecticut, and who moved to Orleans county, N. Y., in 1857, where the father died in 1868, aged sixty-eight years; the mother moved to Wilson, living with her son. Hervey, at whose house she died in 1890, aged ninety years. Hervey was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools and the then famous Hill's Academy at Essex, Conn. His first business experience was in a wholesale dry goods house in Philadelphia, and after eleven years with it, and as department foreman in the great iron and construction house of Morris, Tasker & Morris, he spent a short time in Orleans county, where he was married. He located in Wilson in 1866, just at the close of the war, where he opened a lumber yard, and spending four years in that and the coal business, he then engaged in the insurance, loan and real estate agency which he continues and in which he has been very successful, having manipulated some quite large real estate deals. In politics he has always been a Republican, casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. He has been president of the village of Wilson some ten terms; is president of the Wilson Creamery Co., president of the Wilson Town Hall Association, and several years chairman of the Board of Education of Wilson Union Free School District, No. 1. Mr. Sanford is an elder in the Presbyterian church, a Mason of high degrees and has filled many important offices in the order, and is now district deputy grand master for the Thirty seventh Masonic district of New York (just appointed). December 23, 1863, he married Nellie (Remmelee) Kuck, who died in Wilson, April 16, 1876, and October 6, 1880, he married Francis Alida Dox, a daughter of E. V. W. Dox, esq., one of the oldest residents of Wilson.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time