Russell, William P., M. D., was born December 17, 1861, in Niagara Falls, N. Y., and is the eldest son of Edward E. Russell, a prominent druggist of that city. He was educated in the public schools of Niagara Falls, and when seventeen years old entered the drug store of Hiram E. Griffith, with whom he remained five years, learning the business and becoming a licensed pharmacist. In 1883 he entered the medical department of the University of New York City, from which he received the degree of M. D. in 1885, and immediately afterward he took a post-graduate course at the same institution. In 1886 Dr. Russell returned to Niagara Falls and at once entered upon the successful practice of his profession, and in 1895 built himself a handsome residence in the north part of the city. He is a rising young physician and surgeon, and has already filled a number of offices under the village and city, being health officer of the former in 1888 and 1889 and now (1897) physician to the poor in the second district of the latter. He was appointed a member of the first board of examiners in midwifery in Niagara county and served two years. He is a member of the Niagara Falls Academy of Medicine, of Niagara Frontier Lodge, No. 132, F. & A. M., and of several other organizations, and for a number of them acts as medical examiner. May 15, 1889 he married Ida A. Fales, eldest and only surviving daughter of the late Marshall Fales of Cayuga Island, La Salle, Niagara county.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time