Russell, Edward E., was born at Henrietta, N. Y., June 30, 1839, and was a son of Perry G. Russell, a farmer, now deceased, who moved to Rochester in 1845. Edward E. Russell attended the public schools at the latter city until at the age of fifteen he entered the drug store of Hadley & Duryea of Rochester, where he remained for four years, learning the business. ln 1857 he removed to Niagara Falls and entered the employ of A. B. Lawrence & Co., druggists, and at the expiration of one year purchased their interest in the business and successfully carried it on until 1862, when he enlisted in the ranks of the 151st N. Y. Infantry, and went to the front, leaving the business in the hands of H. E. Griffith, with whom he had formed a partnership previous to his enlistment.. During the war he served in all the most important engagements under Sheridan and Grant, returning to Niagara Falls and his business, on being mustered out as adjutant in the spring of 1865. In 1870 he sold out his interest in the drug business to his partner, H. E. Griffith, and later went to California, where he remained for one year. On returning to Niagara Falls in 1879 he formed a partnership with George H. Salt, and began business under the firm name of George H. Salt & Co., druggists and apothecaries, where he still continues to do business. Mr. Russell is justice of the peace and has been supervisor of the First ward since the city incorporation in 1892. He is a prominent Mason and highly respected by all who know him. In November, 1859, he married Margaret C. Griffith of Niagara Falls, and they have two sons and one daughter.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time