Read, Willett W., was born in Jefferson county, N. Y., April 12, 1865, and is a son of De Estaing C. Read, a farmer now retired. Mr. Read was educated in the public schools and at Potsdam Normal School, Potsdam, N. Y., and in 1884 entered Cornell University where he took and completed the course in civil engineering, graduating in 1888. He at once entered the employ of a Syracuse firm of contractors and was engaged for the next four years in building the waterworks at Delaware, Ohio, Canton, N. Y., Portland, Mich., Ingersoll, Ont., Harvey, Ill., and Lagrange, Ill. In 1892 he settled in Cleveland, Ohio, where he opened an office and carried on a general contracting business until 1894, when he removed to Penn Yan, N. Y., to complete the waterworks at that place. In March, 1895, he was appointed engineer of the city of Niagara Falls, which office he still holds. August 18, 1890, he married Elizabeth Nassoy, daughter of Felix Nassoy, proprietor of the New York Central Hotel at Niagara Falls. Mr. and Mrs. Read have two children, a son and daughter.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time