Ransom, W. H. H. (deceased), was born in Ulster county, N. Y., October 11, 1816, a son of Peleg and Lettie (Lewis) Ransom, who came from Ulster county in 1842 to the town of Wilson, where they lived and died. Peleg Ransom was a descendant of one of three brothers, who came from England. The village of Ransomville was named for an uncle of the subject, Clark Ransom, who lived and died in the village. W. H. H. Ransom was a builder and contractor when he came to Ransomville, and about 1850 he engaged in the mercantile business and continued in business until his death, December 30, 1889. In 1867 he formed a partnership with his eldest son, E. T. Ransom, who has since carried on the business under the old firm name of W. H. H. Ransom & Son. E. T. Ransom is a thorough-going business man, and it has been mainly through his efforts that Ransomville has grown to be one of the leading markets for the farmers in Niagara county. He is not only the leading business man of the place, but has been an active politician, having been supervisor of his town a number of years and also represented his district in the Assembly. He is assisted by his brothers, W. H. H., jr., and H. Seymour, the former having been general manager of the store for eighteen years. The firm is also engaged in produce business and _large dealers in grains, wool and all farm products. W. H. H. Ransom was always an ardent Democrat and was postmaster for a number of years, at one time eight years in succession. February 22, 1843, he married Eliza J. Estes, born in Vermont in 1825, a daughter of Nathan and Catherine (McArthur) Estes. The Estes family are descendants of a Mr. Estes who came from France with La Fayette and the McArthurs, are descendants of King Arthur of Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Ransom had thirteen children, all of whom are living, except one, Herbert M., who died December 1, 1896. Those living are, Elton T., Mary Powley, Oscar M., Lissie Whitfield, Walter J., M. D., Nina Dillingham, Jennie Hopkins, W. H. H., jr., Susie Peterson, H. Seymour, Carrie Thayer and Lottie M. Barry.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time