Ransom, Lewis, was born in New Paltz in 1818, and in 1839 came to Lockport, where he worked on the enlargement of the Erie Canal. In 1840 he went to Ransomville and erected the principal buildings of that town, in connection with his brother, W. H. H. Ransom. In 1846 he went south, where he remained for fifteen years, and at the breaking out of the war returned north again, returning to Buffalo in 1861, and in 1864 came to Lockport, where he engaged in contracting and building. In 1865 he married Mary, daughter of Nathan Estes. Mr. Ransom is one of the representative men of his town and of sterling integrity.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time