Odell, Charles W., was born on the homestead in Royalton, July 9, 1837. Mr. Odell's grandfather Joseph Odell, came to Royalton in 1815 and bought of the Holland Land Company 225 acres of land, and was one of the men whose efforts have made Niagara county what it is to-day. He married Miss Cooley, daughter of Erastus Cooley; he died in 1845. His son, Col. Alanson T. Odell, was born in the town of Loraine, Jefferson county, December 16, 1811, and came to Royalton with his parents in 1815. He was a public spirited man whose judgment was sought and respected by all who knew him. He always took an active interest in the development of his town in school and church matters, and was appointed colonel of the State militia by Governor Seward in 1838. He married Julia, daughter of James Baldwin, and died in 1883. Charles W. Odell was educated at Carysville Seminary of Genesee, graduating in 1855; also taking a special mathematical course in 1861 and was appointed assistant door-keeper in the House of Representatives and afterwards served in the War Department for five years, as superintendent of the division of quartermaster's accounts. In 1867 he returned to Middleport and engaged in mercantile business for seventeen years, when he was burned out. He then became a member of the firm of Compton & Odell and in 1887 became secretary of the Batavia Preserving Company; in 1895 and 1896 he was manager of the Lakeside Park. In 1862 he married Caroline, daughter of Alphonzo T. Swain, and they have three children, Howard S., Mrs. Jennie S. Cotton, and Mrs. Julia Hughey of Buffalo. Mr. Odell has always taken an active interest in the town affairs and has served as trustee.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time