Nichols, E. S., was born in Niagara county, N. Y., June 24, 1835, a son of the late Hezekiah \V. Nichols. He attended the public schools and when eighteen years of age engaged in business at Lockport, where he remained until 1862, at which time he entered the United States army as second lieutenant in the 8th N. Y. Heavy Artillery (otherwise known as the 129th N. Y. Vols.) and served in several brilliant campaigns, being promoted to a captaincy, with which rank he was mustered out of service in July, 1865. He returned to Lockport in that year and engaged in the dry goods trade until 1870, when he was appointed a clerk in the custom house and later, in 1878, was made special deputy collector at the port of Niagara Falls, of which position he is still an incumbent. January 30, 1867, he married Frances Harwood of Lockport, and they have two children, Winifred G. and Harwood S. Mr. Nichols is a member of Red Jacket Lodge No. 646, F. & A. M., of Lockport. and has been quartermaster of Dudley Donnelly Post, G. A. R., since 1879, the time of its organization.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time