Murphy, James P., was born in Montgomery county, N. Y., May 9, 1816, and came to Niagara county in 1832, settling in Lockport, and engaged in the business of cabinet making, which he carried on for many years. He served as city clerk for two years, from 1854 to 1856, and in 1862 was appointed assessor of internal revenue by President Lincoln, which position he held until the year 1871. He was engaged in the grocery business for eighteen years and retired in 1890. In 1833 he married Catherine Davey, who died in 1890, and he again married Ellen Roberts in 1894. He has three sons: William G., James H. and Charles A., by his first wife, all of whom are residents of Lockport and doing business in the city June, 1897.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time