Miller, Isaac, was born in Waterloo, N. Y., February 9, 1825, and with his parents, Henry and Elizabeth Miller, moved to the town of Greece. Monroe county, in 1827. In 1854 Mr. Miller came to Niagara county, settling in Lockport, and for thirty years was engaged in the dry goods business, and later in the manufacturing of cotton batting, being one of the pioneers in that business, from which he retired in 1896. In 1851 he married Nancy L., daughter of John Van De Venter. They had one son, Rolland E. Mr. Miller always took an active interest in all educational and religious institutions and ever advanced the best interests of his town and townspeople. Mrs. Miller died December 31, 1896. Exactly six months after, June 29, 1897, Mr. Miller followed his beloved wife to the silent land. The following is from an obituary notice published in a local newspaper: "So deep and abiding was the affection existing between these two that when one was removed, life could not be taken up again by the other. Mr. Miller leaves one brother, Henry Miller of North Greece, N. Y., and one son, Dr. Rolland Elwell Miller, who now, with his wife and child, reside in Lockport. Among his many friends, both in the First Presbyterian church, in the Masonic fraternity to which he belonged, and in his immediate neighborhood, Mr. Miller will be profoundly mourned. Always kind and courteous, thoughtful and considerate, he possessed the virtues which touch most densely the human heart, and are longest remembered and reverenced."
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time