Niagara County

1897 Biography - Charles J. Miller

Miller, Charles J., was born in Newfane in 1865, a son of Peter D. and Mary (Coulter) Miller. Peter Miller was born in Montgomery county and came to Orleans county in 1830, thence to Newfane in 1845, where he lived until his death in 1895. Mrs. Miller was born in Newfane and resides on the old homestead. C. J. Miller has two sisters, the eldest, Alice L , now Mrs. Robert D. Wilson, resides in Newfane, and Carrie E., now Mrs. George D. Bixler. Mr. Miller was graduated from the Lockport Union School in the class of 1886, and from Cornell University in 1890, after which he returned to Newfane and engaged in the basket and lumber business; he does about $20,000 of business each year, and has a fine house and lot and a farm of 110 acres. In 1892 he married Lotta I., daughter of Jesse O. Lockwood. Associated with Mr. Miller in the basket and lumbering business are S. D. Redman, president; James A. Kelley, vice-president; R. D. Wilson, secretary, and C. J. Miller, treasurer. The company was organized in 1887, at which time they bought out Shaw & Vincent, the former owners. They put in two spans of 100 feet each of stone dams, one in 1891, the other in 1892, making one of the best dams and giving the best water power on Eighteen-mile Creek. In 1893 their entire plant was burned, but they at once rebuilt and worked with such vigor that in two weeks they were doing business again. Their output is about 300,000 each of peach and grape baskets and 1,000,000 berry baskets, the latter going to all parts of the United States. In 1895 they added a saw mill to their already large plant and are doing a profitable and growing business in lumber.

Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897

Design by Templates in Time

This page was last updated 04/08/2024