Meyers, Hiram Benedict, now a banker and bond buyer, but better known as a newspaperman, was born at Pendleton, Niagara county, N. Y., September 10, 1871. His father was Capt. Henry Meyers, who was one of the early settlers on the Holland Land Company's purchase in Erie county, and who in 1870 was married to Miss Magdelane Hartman of Pendleton. From farming Captain Meyers became interested in canal and harbor property and finally in the shipping business, and now lives in North Tonawanda. Hiram Meyers spent time in the schools at Pendleton, Lockport, Tonawanda, Brockport, Jersey City, N. J., and Brooklyn, N. Y. He began newspaper work in New York city and in 1891 settled in North Tonawanda where he worked in the capacity of reporter and assistant editor on the Tonawanda News and correspondent for Buffalo papers. When the Buffalo Courier opened its bureau in the Tonawandas Mr. Meyers was installed as manager and held that position until the Courier went out of existence in May, 1897. During the interim and since then he corresponded for various metropolitan daily as well as weekly and monthly trade papers. He also did some original writing which was mainly in the humorous line. When the Courier went out of existence Mr. Meyers was at once started on the career of a banker and bond buyer with the banking house of James H. Rand, having charge of the bond department of that institution and which office he still holds. In October, 1897, Mr. Meyers was married to Miss Ilione Woodbury, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin S. Woodbury, of Boston, Mass., and purchased a house in the Christiana Street district, North Tonawanda, N. Y.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time