Merritt, John A., of Lockport, Niagara county, N. Y., was born in Tecumseh, Lenawee county, Mich., November 24, 1851. He was educated in the public schools of Tecumseh and the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor; removed to Lockport in 1870, studied law in the office of Benjamin Hunting, was admitted to the bar in 1876, and entered upon the practice of his profession in 1886; associated himself with Lawyer A. A. Bradley, under the firm name of Bradley & Merritt, attorneys, and continues to practice law under the firm name. Mr. Merritt was elected county clerk of his county (Niagara) in 1880, and was re-elected in 1883, serving in all six years. In 1886 he was chosen a member of the Board of Education of the city of Lockport, which position he still holds, having been several times re-elected, and having been chosen president of the board for five years. In 1891 he was appointed and commissioned by President Harrison postmaster of Lockport and served four years; and he was appointed third assistant postmaster-general on the incoming of President McKinley's administration. Mr. Merritt is also interested in several large business enterprises, being secretary and treasurer of the Niagara Paper Mills at Lockport. Mr. Merritt is married and has one son, who is now in college - Cornell University, at Ithaca, N. Y.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time