McComb, George T., son of George and Mary Ann McComb, was born in Lockport, N. Y., May 1, 1856. His father was Scotch and his mother English. George McComb came to Lockport about 1826 and first settled on the Coomer road, and later removed to Lockport city, where both he and his wife died in 18__. He was an architect and builder, served as alderman for a time, and became a prominent Odd Fellow. His children were William E., cashier of the National Exchange Bank of Lockport; Frederick J., a wholesale grocer of Denver, Col.: and George T., of Lockport. George T. McComb at an early age entered the National Exchange Bank of Lockport, and served four years as clerk and eight years as bookkeeper. He was then for eight years the paying and receiving teller of the Niagara County National Bank of the same city, and later took an extended trip to Europe, Asia and Africa and over this country. Returning home he engaged in 1892 in the wholesale produce commission business, in which he still continues, having branch offices in New York and Boston, and exporting large quantities of produce to Europe. He is the heaviest dealer in this line in Western New York. Mr. McComb is noted as an antiquarian, and has one of the largest collections of autographic letters in America. He also has a large collection of relics relating to the wars and much history bearing upon Niagara and this part of the State. He is a member of Red Jacket Lodge, Ames Chapter, and Bruce Council of Masons of Lockport, was for two years vice president of the New York State Association of Hay and Grain Dealers, and has always been an active and honored citizen and an influential factor in politics.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time