Lymburner, Hamilton M., the eldest of three sons and next younger than six daughters of Matthew and Marilda (Merritt) Lymburner, was born at Richmond Hill, Canada, January 21, 1826. The Lymburners and Merritts gave their names to settlements originally made by them on Chippewa Creek, near Smithville, Ontario. Matthew Lymburner, a native of Nova Scotia, served in the British army in the war of 1812, and afterward became a pioneer farmer at Richmond Hill, where he died aged eighty-five. Hamilton M. attended the common schools and when sixteen came to Buffalo, N.Y. during a part of his first year there he worked for a miller at East Aurora hauling flour through to Pennsylvania. Later he entered the employ of Gorton & Clexton, proprietors of a woolen and sheepskin factory at black Rock, and remained there four years being a partner during the last year. He traveled through Canada buying wool and sheepskins and selling leather. Afterward he prosecuted the business on his own account, and in four months realized more profit than he had accumulated in four years. He then went to Hamilton, Canada, and with his brother-in-law, George C. Torrey, carried on a successful business, of which he later became sole owner. In 1859 he sold out and located on a farm near East Aurora, Erie county, but in 1860 came to Buffalo, and with Mr. Torrey purchased of A. B. Platt a sheepskin factory on Granger street and the Hamburg Canal. After the war Mr. Torrey withdrew and Mr. Lymburner continued until he was burned out. Later he bought a hide house on Green street, remodeled it, established himself again in the wool and sheepskin business, and for the third time took Mr. Torrey into partnership. After several years the firm failed, but compromised with their creditors for fifty cents on the dollar, payable in three, six, and nine months, without, without endorsements, and after paying their indebtedness as it became due, dissolved. Mr. Lymburner continued the business for six months, and on November 1, 1877, with Jacob F. Schoellkopf, formed the firm of Schoellkpf & Co. They were burned out on Green street, and Mr. Schoellkopf purchased a vacant lot on Mississippi street, between Scott and Perry, and erected the present brick building, for the purpose of handling wool and manufacturing sheepskins and various kinds of leather. This building was subsequently enlarged, and finally Mr. Lymburner became an equal owner in the plant as well as in the firm. In 1895 Albert Schoellkopf, a son of Jacob F., was admitted into partnership. Mr. Lymburner has resided at LaSalle, Niagara county, since about 1877, and bought a farm there in November, 1885. He was married, first, in 1850, to Harriet C. Torrey, of Aurora, Erie county, who died at La Salle in 1878, leaving three children: Ella M. (Mrs. Thomas Kean), and Hattie Marilda and Cyrena M., both deceased.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time