Lindsay, Hon. James P., was born in Londonderry, Ohio, May 24 1856, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. When quite young he removed with his father's family to Illinois, thence to Iowa, finally settling near Indianola, where he continued to reside until admitted to the bar. His parents were Samuel B. and Maria (Bratton) Lindsay, both natives of Ohio. His father was a member of the Ohio Legislature, and served in the war of the Rebellion as second lieutenant of Co. A, 48th Ia. Inf. James P. was educated at Simpson, (Ia.), and Monmouth (lll.) Colleges and Chicago University, from which last he graduated in the class of 1880. He was admitted to the bar at Des Moines, Iowa, in 1881, and shortly thereafter located in the practice of law at Lincoln, Neb. In 1883 he located at Beaver City, Neb., where he was county attorney until 1886, when he was elected to the State Senate, and re-elected in 1888, serving four years. His majority on re-election was the largest of any member of either branch of the Legislature that year, being nearly 4,000. In 1891 President Harrison appointed him register of the U. S. land office at McCook, his district embracing nearly half of the State south of the Platte River. In 1894 he came to North Tonawanda and entered into a partnership with Hon. Henry E. Warner. Upon the organization of North Tonawanda as a city he was tendered the appointment as city judge, which office, however, he declined. Mr. Lindsay is a member of the Workmen, Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias. In 1883 he was married at Indianola, Ia., to Lizzie M. Campbell, and they have three children living: Erma, Cecile and Walter.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time