George D. Lamont was born in Orleans county, N. Y., in 1819, and was graduated from Yale College in 1837. In the following year he settled in Lockport and began the study of law in the office of J. L. Curtenius. In 1841 he was admitted to the bar, and his energy and ability soon brought him a good practice. His natural qualifications of earnestness in whatever he undertook, keenness of intellect, and breadth of judgment enabled him to take a position in the front rank of his profession. Upon the organization of the Republican party he allied himself with its interests and ever after upheld its doctrines and supported its candidates for office. His first public office was that of school commissioner. In 1859 he was elected State senator to fill a vacancy for only thirty days, but in that brief time he found opportunity to distinguish himself and gain a State reputation. In 1862, when President Lincoln created a provisional court for New Orleans, Judge Lamont received the appointment of United States district attorney to hold that court, with very broad jurisdiction. He held the position until the necessity of the court ceased to exist on account of the close of the war and returned to his home. In 1865 he was elected judge of Niagara county, but before the close of a year was appointed a justice of the Supreme Court in his judicial district to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Noah Davis, and in 1871 was elected to that high oflfice for the full term of fourteen years.
Contributed 01 Oct 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time