Niagara County
NYGenWeb

1897 Biography - John Kinyon, Jr.

Kinyon, John, jr., one of the most enterprising and successful farmers of Hartland, was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., in 1832, and is a son of John and Lydia Kinyon, natives of Chenango county. In 1835 his parents moved to Orleans county on the county line between Orleans and Niagara counties, thence to Hartland, Niagara county, settling one mile north of Middleport, where John Kinyon, jr., now resides. They gave each son a farm and removed to what is now North Middleport. Mr. Kinyon, sr., died in 1885 and his wife in 1882. They were both active in the development of their section of the county and endured the trials and hardships incident to the settlers of a new country. They were Universalists, and did much to aid in building up their chosen church. There were seven children born to this union: A child who died in infancy; Charles, a farmer in Hartland; George (deceased), lived in Sycamore, Ill., died in 1896; Israel (deceased), died about 1840, in Hartland; Albert a retired farmer, resides in Middleport; and Betsey Ann, who died when ten years of age. In 1855 John Kinyon, jr., married Editha H. Sheldon, and they have six children: George, married and resides in Orleans county on one of his father's farms adjoining the homestead; Charlie, married and resides on his farm of eighty acres, which joins his brother's; Martha (Mrs. Charles Spalding), resides in Shiawassee county, Mich.; Addie (Mrs. Grant Clark), resides in Orleans county, at County Line Corners; Flora (Mrs. Verne Shedbolt), resides in Genesee county; and Carrie is at home with her parents. In 1845 Mr. Kinyon went to Iowa and bought a farm of 160 acres, which he disposed of in war times. To his untiring efforts the public is indebted for the crushed stone road extending from the Ridge Road to Middleport. He is a prominent member of the A. O. U. W. at Middleport, is a lifelong Democrat, and joined the Silver Democratic party at its organization. He has served his town as highway commissioner for two years.

Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897


Design by Templates in Time