King, James O., was born in Middlefield, Otsego county, N.Y., September 7, 1825, and removed to Hartland, Niagara county, in May, 1835. After attending the public school he entered a general store at Gasport as a clerk in 1851, where he remained for three years, when he removed to Lockport and entered the service of William J. Dunlap as a bookkeeper, and in the spring of 1863 accepted a position with the firm of B. & Carpenter, where he remained twenty years. His next position was as a bookkeeper for E. B. Weaver & Son, where he remained until 1886, when he was taken down with paralysis and has since been an invalid. He was supervisor of the First ward in 1869, 1870, 1871 and 1873, member of the Board of Education from 1873 to 1881 inclusive, railroad commissioner for the city from 1872 to 1886, and a member of the Police Commission at its organization in 1872; and has been assignee, administrator and executor of a number of estates, all of which duties he has discharged with great care. Mr. King was married September 29, 1858, to Mary A. Barber of Westmoreland, Oneida county, N. Y., and an only son has been born to them, Fred B., who is in business in Rochester.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time