Judd, Hon. Garwood L., of South Tonawanda, Niagara county, N. Y., was born at Augusta Center, Oneida county, N. Y., July 4, 1823. He was educated at the Augusta Academy, and the Clinton Institute, and graduated from the latter in 1844. He read law at Frankfort, Herkimer county, and was admitted to the State bar November 4, 1850, and to the United States bar January 4, 1861. Mr. Judd married Maria A. Pryne, daughter of Francis P. Pryne of Herkimer, in 1850. He has one daughter. Mary E. Edmonds, wife of John J. Edmonds of North Tonawanda. Mrs. Judd died September 25, 1893. Mr. Judd was engaged in the State Engineer's Department on the enlargement of the Erie Canal from the west line of Oneida county, to the lower lock in Frankfort, Herkimer county, about three years, under William J. McAlpine and William B. Taylor, respectively, chief engineers and surveyors of the State of New York. In 1848 and 1849 Mr. Judd was baggage master on what is now the N. Y. Central Railroad from Albany to Buffalo, single track, and only one track in what is now the Exchange street depot in the city of Buffalo. On the 23d day of May Mr. Judd took his demit from Olive Branch Lodge No. 40, Frankfort, Herkimer county, and removed to North Tonawanda, N. Y., and opened his law office where he has been in practice forty four years. On his arrival at North Tonawanda he affiliated with Tonawanda Lodge No. 247, F. & A. M., and long since a past master thereof. Mr. Judd has been appointed and elected to fill various offices of trust in North Tonawanda and Niagara county. When the North and South villages were one, he was one of the trustees thereof and drew the articles incorporating the village of North Tonawanda, also the articles incorporating the Col. John Sweeney Rural Cemetery, and was trustee thereof for many years. Mr. Judd was superintendent of common schools of the town of Wheatfield three years, town clerk two years, village clerk two years, president of the Board of Health six years, and a member of the Board of Education about fifteen years, justice of sessions of Niagara county two years, and is now serving his thirty-ninth year as justice of the peace of the town of Wheatfield. Mr. Judd is a lifelong Democrat and represented the first Assembly District of Niagara county in the State Legislature two years 1891 and 1892, and assumed the gavel at the speaker's solicitation three times each year, and performed the duties thereof with honor to the Legislature and the first Assembly District of Niagara county which he had the distinguished honor to represent, and credit to himself.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time