Holland, Lewis, was born in St. Johnsburg, July 26, 1854, a son of Christian and Dorothea Holland, natives of Germany. Lewis Holland learned the harness trade and has pursued it up to the present. In 1884 he opened a hotel at St. Johnsburg, which he also conducts. He is a Democrat in politics, a member of the German Lutheran church, was postmaster under Cleveland during his first term and was highway commissioner for three years. During this time he built three iron bridges and the large arch bridge at Tremont street over the State ditch. November 9, 1876, married Louisa VanWeir, and they had nine children: Edward, Herman, Lewis, William, Grover, Louisa Matilda, Ella and Agatha.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time