Highland, Henry, was born in County Kent, Eng, April 16, 1831, a son of the late John Highland. ln 1841 John Highland immigrated with his family to America, settling in Canada. Henry had received his education in England and in 1848 he migrated from Canada to Buffalo, N. Y., where he engaged in the livery business for six years. He then removed to Niagara Falls, where he has since resided and carried on the livery business until 1871, when he was appointed on the Niagara village police force. In 1875 he was engaged by the Porter estate to care for Goat Island and Three Sisters Islands, at that time the property of the Porters. He served them in the capacity of keeper and warden until 1885, when the property was purchased by the State and since that time he has been State keeper of the islands. In 1868 Mr. Highland married Esther L. West and they have two children. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and Royal Templars of Niagara Falls.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time