Haner, Charles, second son of Daniel and Hannah (Crandall) Haner, was born in the village of Wilson, Niagara county, March 3, 1856. Daniel Haner, a son of Peter, moved from Pennsylvania into Schoharie county, N.Y., and thence to Marion, Wayne county; from there he came with his wife to the village of Wilson, where for many years he was a leading business man and a prominent citizen. He was one of the earliest and largest ship builders there, and also carried on a sawmill in connection with that industry. A large number of lake vessels were built and launched by him. He also conducted a general store, bought and shipped immense quantities of grain, and had a farm there. He died about 1861 and his wife a year or two later. His sister, Mrs. Maria Johnson, still lives in Wilson. Mr. and Mrs. Haner had three sons; Frederick, of Tonawanda; and Charles and William (a farmer), of Wilson. Charles Haner was educated at the Wilson Union School and at Chamberlain Institute, Randolph, N.Y., graduating from the commercial department of the latter in 1878. He was then a clerk in the Board of Trade office of Detroit, Mich., for one year, and in 1879 returned to Wilson and again engaged in farming. In 1884 he became a clerk in the main office of the Pullman Palace Car Company, of Pullman, Ill., but two years later again returned to Wilson and engaged in the grain and produce commission business, in which he continued until August 10, 1890, when he was appointed by Collector James Low as deputy collector and inspector of customs at Suspension Bridge, which position he still holds, having been reappointed by the present collector, William Richmond. Mr. Haner still retains his residence in Wilson. He was married in May, 1886, to Carrie L., daughter of the late Hon. Benjamin and Lavinia Farley, of Wilson, and they have one daughter, Mabel. Mr. Farley, born in Salem, Mass., in 1810, came to Wilson in 1842, purchased a part of lot 48, Holland Purchase, and resided there until his death April 15, 1876. He was supervisor of the town in 1865, was elected sheriff of Niagara county in 1857, and served as member of Assembly in 1867 and 1868.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time