Haeberle, George, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, October 22, 1832, where he received his education and at the age of twenty-five immigrated to America. In search of employment, he and a companion walked the entire distance from New York city to Niagara Falls and it was in the latter city that he first found work, in the car shops of the New York Central Railroad Company as a carpenter. He remained with that company until 1863, when he established himself in business as a carpenter and builder at Niagara Falls and followed that calling until the time of his decease in October, 1896. Mr. Haeberle was an enterprising and thrifty man and as the years went by his business increased rapidly, necessitating the building by him of the largest and best equipped steam planing mill and lumber yards at Niagara Falls. He has fulfilled contracts for many of the largest and most imposing buildings in Niagara Falls and in his declining years he associated with him in the business, his two sons, George C. and Charles E., who since his death have continued to operate the business bequeathed to them by him. Mr. Haeberle was of a modest, unassuming nature and applied himself closely to his business. He had served the village of Suspension Bridge as water commissioner and trustee for many years, and during President Grant's first term of office he held the position of mail agent of that village, and later accepted the position of supervisor of the village for four years.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time