Gooding, Stephen F. - For more than sixty years Mr. Gooding has been established in his profession. His first engagement in engineering work was on the survey of the Buffalo and Niagara Falls and the Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroad; he next assisted on the survey of a railroad from Toledo to Sandusky city, and during the same year of a railroad running from Palmira, Mich., to Jackson, and later was employed on the Erie Canal between Buffalo and Rochester. In 1838 and 1840 he was engaged on the construction of the Illinois and Michigan Canal; from 1840 to 1862 he was engaged in the engineering of the enlargement of the Erie Canal in the vicinity of Lockport, including the construction of the combined locks at that place; in 1862 was elected village engineer, which position he held until in 1867 he made for the United States government, under charge of Colonel Blunt, U. S. A., surveys and estimate for a ship canal from Niagara River at Tonawanda to Lake Ontario at Olcott. In 1868 he removed to Long Island and was engineer in the construction of different railroads in that region. In 1876 he returned to Lockport and has since been engaged in surveying and civil engineering. In 1891 he made the surveys and estimates for a canal to utilize the power of Niagara River on a head and fall of over 200 feet at Lockport. It will thus be seen that Mr. Gooding is a civil engineer of rare attainments and ability and one whose services are in request in works where high order of skill is indispensable. He is a son of John and Mary A. (French) Gooding, and was born in the town of Henrietta, Monroe county, N. Y., October 31, 1817. He has been a Republican since the organization of that party and his first vote was with the Liberty party. He is a member of the East Avenue Congregational church and was present at the first Sunday school ever held in the city of Lockport. His father was born in Bristol, N. Y., in 1795 and died in 1840; his mother was born in the town of Alfred, Mass., in 1797 and died in 1873.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time