Gombert, William, Wheatfield, was born in Germany in 1847, and came to America in 1854 with his uncle. In 1861 he came to Lockport where he learned the carpenter's trade and followed it for five years there, when he came to North Tonawanda in 1869. He built the mill now conducted by J. S. Thompson and was a partner in the business for many years. After some changes the firm became Gombert & Thompson in 1887 and so remained until 1892, when Mr. Gombert sold out and went into the coal business. He also conducts the business of the Erie Coal Dock. Mr. Gombert enlisted in the 26th N. Y. Frontier Cavalry in 1865 and served four months. He is a member of the Board of Public Works in the city of North Tonawanda and was alderman for four years and president of the village one year. While chairman of the street commissioners he built the bridge over the State ditch on Oliver street and procured the fire engine for the village, and served twelve years in the fire department. Mr. Gombert married Caroline Werth, and their children are: Henry, Edward, Christian, George, Harmen, Walter, Elizabeth, Minnie and Esther.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time