Gold, William J., a son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Calaway) Gold, was born in Pittstown. Rensselaer county, N. Y., September 2, 1849. His first employment was in a cooper shop at Waterford, N. Y. In 1876 he removed to Lockport and entered the flour mill of Saxton & Thompson, having charge of the flour packing department, and continued with this firm for a period of five years. He then embarked in the grocery business on his own account, which business he has since conducted. In May, 1892, he was appointed assessor by Mayor Darrison for one term of two years, which position he has held up to the present time. August 31, 1872, he married Mary A. Jones of Cohoes, N. Y.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time