Gluck, Alva, was born in Wheatfield, Niagara county, March 11, 1824. His father died when he was yet an infant, and his education was obtained in the district schools of Cambria. ln 1846 he came to Niagara Falls and worked in the family of the late Peter B. Porter, where he met Miss Margaret Frazer, whom he married in 1851. They soon went to hotel-keeping, first as proprietors of the Western Hotel, and two years later as owners of the Franklin House (where the Imperial now stands). On January 1, 1860, Mr. Gluck leased the American House, winch burned January 5, 1863, leaving him practically a poor man. He was afterward the manager of the Niagara and Clifton Houses, and finally bought the Spencer House, which he opened in April, 1867, and which he made one of the leading hotels at the Falls. This was burned, and on the site the handsome Gluck block was erected recently by his estate. Mr. Gluck was also at one time one of the proprietors of the International Hotel, and for many years was one of the best known and most popular landlords in Western New York. He was vice-president of the Cataract Bank, a director in the Street Railroad and Water Works Companies, and a man highly respected for benevolence and sterling qualities. He died January 23, 1886. Mrs. Margaret (Frazer) Gluck was born in lnverness, Scotland, in 1824, came with her parents to Canada, where her father died, and in 1848 removed with her mother to Niagara Falls, where she died February 27, 1897. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and a worthy Christian woman.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time