Ferguson, Fred H., was born in the town of Newfane March 25, 1852, a son of Hiram and Lucretia Ferguson. His father was born in Vermont, November 11, 1811, and came to the town of Newfane in 1822, he being the only man at the time of his death who held an original deed of land in Newfane, from the Holland Purchase. The deed was given January 30, 1838, and is now in the hands of our subject, who owns the homestead at Appleton. When his father bought this farm there had not been a stick cut on it and by frugal industry he cleared the farm and hewed a home out of the wilderness. His mother, Lucretia (Woodward) Ferguson, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, November 29, 1815, and came to Niagara county in 1831; she was married in 1833, and had six children: A. M., resides in Lockport; D. M., in Osage, Ia.; Mrs. M. J. Goodspeed, in Waverly, Ia.; N. P., in Nashua, Ia.; F. H., and Mrs. A. F. Outwater, in Rochester. Hiram Ferguson died in February, 1890, and his widow in 1896. F. H. Ferguson received his early education in the schools of his town and finished at Lockport Union School, after which he engaged in farming. In 1884 he engaged with E. P. Haynes in the produce and commission business at Appleton and they continued together for two years, when Mr. Haines retired from the firm, and since then Mr. Ferguson has conducted the business alone. He is one of the largest dealers in the county and has handled nearly 60,000 barrels of apples and pears during the past season; he also handles grain and agricultural implements. In 1879 Mr. Ferguson married Bertha E. Maxwell of Newfane, and they had four children: Fannie, born May 17, 1880; Effie, born in July, 1883; Floss E., born in July, 1884, and A. Maxwell, born in 1887. Mrs. Ferguson died in November 1894, aged thirty-nine years. She was a Christian lady and with her family was a member of the Baptist church. Mr. Ferguson is a Republican and served as postmaster at Hess Road (now Appleton) under President Grant and President Harrison. He is also a Mason, being a member of Somerset Lodge No. 281, F. & A. M., of Somerset.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time