Emerson, Joseph, was born in Dunville, Canada, January 31, 1868, a son of John and Leah Emerson. His father came from England to Canada, when a boy and his mother is a native of Pennsylvania; they were married in Canada, where they have since resided. Joseph Emerson received his education in Dunville, after which he came to Buffalo and worked in a sanitarium in that place for three years. He then came to Newfane and bought a half interest in the Newfane Knitting Mills, with his brother-in-law, Fred Anderson, and continued the partnership for nearly three years (the mill was formerly the old Von Ostrand Woolen Mills, and one of the oldest landmarks in Niagara county), when they formed a stock company known as the Lockport Felt Co., January 26, 1891, composed of the following gentlemen: Fred Anderson, Joseph Emerson, James Jackson, jr., J. Carl Jackson, A. S. Beverly, Augustus H. Ivins and Charles T. Raymond. This company continued for about three years, when Mr. Anderson retired, and the Jacksons are also out of the company and J. H. Eilus has been taken in. They now manufacture felting for paper and pulp mills and sell their goods over eight or nine States, Mr. Emerson being the traveling representative of the firm. October 22, 1891, Mr. Emerson married Chrissie Mae Lettis of Albion, and they have one child, Harold L., born May 29, 1895, Mr. Emerson is a member of Ontario Lodge, Wilson, No. 376, F. & A. M.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time