Ellis, Joseph E., was born in Pendleton, October 20, 1861, a son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Richards) Ellis. His grandparents, Barzilla and Mary Ellis, were early settlers of Pendleton, as were also the maternal grandparents. Alexander Ellis was born in New Jersey and carried on farming in Pendleton, where he died in 1890. Joseph E. Ellis was educated at Lockport Union School and commenced his business career as teacher, teaching six winters. He then took up telegraphy and dealing in coal and baled hay; in 1888 he formed a partnership with J. Kenney and established a general store at Pendleton, which they carried on for two years and dissolved partnership, Mr. Ellis conducting the business alone. In 1892 he entered into partnership with J. P. Graff, and they added feed and farming implements and do a wholesale as well as retail business. In 1887 Mr. Ellis married Agnes, daughter of Jacob and Catherine Wendel, and they have one daughter, Mabel. Mr. Ellis is a Republican in politics and has served two terms as town clerk. He has also been postmaster at Pendleton Center for the past seven years and agent of the Erie Railroad Company at the same place for the past nine years, both of which positions he still holds.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time