Dinan, William, jr., was born at Lewiston, N. Y , June 24, 1854, and is a son of William Dinan, a worthy farmer, who later in life became superintendent of Oakwood Cemetery at Niagara Falls. Mr. Dinan received his education at the public schools of Lewiston. His father had purchased a farm of 150 acres of fertile land in Boyd county, Ky., whither he removed with his family in the spring of 1870, but returned to Niagara Falls in the spring of 1871. Upon his arrival in Niagara Falls William Dinan, jr., entered the employ of the International Hotel as barman, where he remained for two years. At this time (1873) Mrs. Col. Peter A. Porter engaged him as coachman and he served her in that capacity until her removal from Niagara Falls in 1875. He then returned to the International Hotel, where he worked as omnibus and carriage driver for four summers, spending vacations in travel in the South and West. He was of a roving disposition and spent the following five years in Colorado, California and Oregon in prospecting, mining and general travel, returning to Niagara Falls on July 4, 1884. He was persuaded to remain in the East and in the fall of 1886 built a substantial home for himself, and on April 19, 1886, married Louise A. Wegner of Buffalo. He was appointed as patrolman on the police force on April 23, 1886, and served the town in that capacity until March, 1892, when he was given a commission as chief of police of Niagara Falls, which office he now holds.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time