Devereaux, John E., was born at New Haven, Conn., May 8, 1852, and is a son of Edward Devereaux, a well known landscape gardener, now deceased. Mr. Devereaux had little chance for study, as his father moved continually in the practice of his profession, until 1864, when they settled at Geneva, where he attended the public schools of that place three terms. In 1866 he removed with his parents to Clifton Springs, where his father died, and Mr. Devereaux entered the employ of the Clifton Springs Sanitarium, remaining until 1872, when he went to Poughkeepsie to attend for one session Eastman's Business College. In 1873 he removed to Niagara Falls, where he at once entered the employ of the Cataract House, and where he since has remained, excepting during the years 1879-80-81, when he was elected town clerk at Clifton Springs, N. Y., one year appointed; also was clerk of the Board of Education, returning again to the Cataract House, where he has risen through all possible grades to his present position as manager, which post he has held for the past eight years. Mr. Devereaux has been interested in little or no other business aside from his hotel work for the past quarter of a century, with the exception of the last three years, during which time he has been engaged (mostly during the winter months) in the real estate business. In 1892 he was appointed a member of the Board of Public Works and during the presidential campaign of 1896 he was chairman of the City Democratic Committee of Niagara Falls.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time