Cyrus E. Davis was born at Queenston Heights, August 29, 1827. In 1837 he removed with his father to Lewiston, finished his academic education there, and studied law in the office of S. B. Piper of that village. In 1847 he removed to Buffalo, entered the office of Dyer Tillinghast, and a year later was admitted to the bar. He practiced in Buffalo until 1857, when he removed to Niagara Falls and successfully followed his profession. While he was repeatedly brought forward as a candidate for public office, the strong Republican majority in the county and district almost always prevented the election of a Democrat, however worthy. He was nominated in 1859 for the office of district attorney of Niagara county; in 1861 for member of assembly and again in 1862 and 1863. In 1870 he was nominated and elected, but the Court of Appeals in its construction of the new judiciary article of the constitution, decided that no vacancy existed at the time of election. In 1873 Judge Davis was prominently mentioned for the office of attorney general of the State and in the same year was again nominated for county judge. In 1874 he was supported by many leading journals throughout the State for the nomination for lieutenant-governor, but when the convention assembled and evinced its probable preference for a "liberal" candidate, Judge Davis withdrew his name. In 1878 he received the nomination for Congress and ran largely ahead of his ticket. In June, 1883, he received the appointment of county judge from President Cleveland (then governor), and ably filled the position until January 1, 1884. As a lawyer Judge Davis was an eloquent pleader, a close reasoner, and won many signal victories at the bar. His death took place December 8, 1891.
Contributed 01 Oct 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time