Delmage, Henry J., was born in County Limerick, Ireland, October 13, 1842, a son of the late Adam Delmage. In 1849 Adam Delmage removed with his family to Hamilton, Ontario, Can., where Henry attended the public schools and at the age of thirteen began the active life which he still leads. In 1862 he helped build the first wing of the present Niagara University and later entered the hotel business, which he has followed ever since. In 1874 he bought his present hotel and has operated it successfully for twenty-three years as the Ontario House. Niagara Falls. In 1883 Mr. Delmage was appointed assessor of the village of Suspension Bridge to fill a vacancy, and in 1884 was elected assessor of the town of Niagara. He was re-elected to that office in 1887 and again in 1890; in 1894 he was elected city assessor and was re-elected in 1897. He also filled the office of treasurer of the village of Suspension Bridge in the years 1881-82-86 and 1891. May 23, 1867, he married Bridget Lenahan and they have ten children. Mrs. Delmage died November 19, 1884. They had one child, Eddie P., who was killed by being run over by a wagon, August 21, 1888. Mr. Delmage is a member of the C. M. B. A. and A. O. H. of Niagara Falls.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time